Being Marked as Safe

Hello friends and family.  I want to start by saying thank you all for the birthday wishes!  I can't believe I am already 34!!!  If you know me, you know my anxiety and I honestly thought the world was going to end before I turned 14....20 years later, we're still here and I thank God for it.

Things I've should've always known, but only realized in my 30s (take notes my 20 somethings):

1. Anxiety can be crippling, but it does not have to rule your life.
2. It's okay to need help.
3. You are worth more than your weight on the scale.  Who cares if you aren't "high school skinny" anymore.  Be healthy and be happy.
4. We all have to die someday, don't be afraid of that.  Instead, get to know Jesus and let him teach you how to make the most of your life here on earth.
5. We think we are in control, but really, things happen.  Appreciate the people in your life and don't let unforgiveness consume you.
6.  Love everyone for who they are.  Stop holding people to a standard you yourself cannot keep and just love them.
7.  Kids are crazy.  I've been a middle school/high school teacher for 8 years now...I struggled in the beginning, but now I'd like to think I'm pretty good at my job.  None of that prepared me for taking in my nephew this year.  7 year olds are a different beast all together and I miss the alone time I used to complain about; kids will make you turn into your mother before you realize it. I didn't know how deeply Desiree had buried herself into my subconscious.

Now the real reason for this post:  Following a regularly scheduled holiday to the Philippines (see pictures on Facebook), all hell broke loose in China. There is currently a virus making it's way across the country.  I was forced to decide rather to book  a one way ticket to the US, for an undisclosed amount of time, or just return to my apartment and wait it out.  I choose to return and wait.  

With so much fear and uncertainty, travel is restricted, temperatures are being neurotically checked on every corner, and food deliveries are being stopped at the gate. We must wear face masks when interacting with others in public and hope for the best.  I spent my birthday in doors, with a seven-year-old, watching movies and trying to keep busy.  It was only day 1.

Honestly, things could be worst.  I could be sick and at the mercy of an overpopulated, over worked health care system.  I could be dying alone in a room far away from friends and family.  I could be mourning the recent death of a family member or close friend.  Instead, I am sitting here, sipping tea, and planning to reorganize my home for want of something to do.   I am doing fine.

Most importantly, I'm not worried.  This may seem like an inconvenient overreaction on many levels, but I am confident that things will work out.  I don't feel like the virus is lurking behind every door, or within every mask-less stranger.  I don't think I need to rush out of China on the earliest plane I can afford, although, if school is going to be out beyond February 17, I may consider it to avoid killing Landon.  I am confident that God has a plan and will take care of me.

Enjoy this song and relax!  I am fine..just inconvenienced. :)

Living in China, God has taught me to appreciate the mundane and to expect the unexpected.  He's carried me through an explosion, food poisoning, and multiple sketchy meat situations...why wouldn't he be strong enough to carry me through this?

Comments