Souptastic!

Holy smokes, two post in one night. I have just finished making my stuff buyer friendly and have decided to finally post this post (hehe) I've been plotting for the last week...or 2. I hate cooking...except, now that I am basically jobless for the next month (2 days a week at Sylvan does not count) and all the people I know and talk to work jobs, I find myself cooking more.

I've been making soup because nothing is better than a one pot meal where you throw all the ingredients in the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes - few hours....nothing. Even better is a soup made in the crock pot. Low maintenance meals for this low maintenance girl. This week...well over the past few weeks, I've outdone myself with my soup creations.

 Since I'm a single lady, one pot of soup can easily feed me many meals over the course of a week....they even freeze when I get tired of eating the same thing and taste just as delicious another day. So what have I been cooking? I'm going to share my not so secret recipes with you!

Warning, I use approximate measurements...another reason why I love making soup.

1. Chicken noodle soup: 

An oldie, but a goody. I just haven't mastered the art of completely homemade chicken noodle soup yet, so I sort of cheated by using a ready made soup mix.....sorry....

1 packet of Bear Creek Soup Mix
8 cups of water
Left over chicken, taken off the bone.
season to taste (I like to add a bit of Mrs. Dash and a lot of pepper)

Mix it all together...this is really easy, let it simmer for about 30 minutes (if you want)...really, just get it hot. Sorry, I did not get a picture of this soup, but it did meet the approval of a precocious 9-year-old.

 I decided to make this soup because I buy whole chickens (much cheaper than buying parts) and tried to make good ol' fashion chicken and rice like my mama used to make...it did not turn out the way I wanted...so, I took the chicken left over, more than half, and made some soup and  
 
fancy chicken salad: 
Left over chicken taken off the bone
some mayo...no more than a cup...depends how much you're making
fancy fixins: add pecans and craisins....and a dash of mustard for just the right zing.


2. Beef and veggie: 
I had been craving this soup for a million years...so I made it. I try to avoid beef, but this was one of those meals where I was like what the heck, le' go!

1 beef roast(cut into cubes...size does not matter...but you don't want to choke)
1 large onion minced garlic to taste
2 carrots(peeled and cut up)
3 medium potatoes (peeled and cut up)
4...just kidding 1 -2 cups of corn ( I like to use the frozen kind, they taste fresher)
1 big can of diced tomatoes (about 24 ounces)
1-2 cups vegetable broth ( I just open the container and pour till I feel good about the situation)
1 cup of water Season to taste (Mrs. Dash, Salt, and Cayenne pepper are my staples...)

For this meal, I threw everything in the crock-pot, and cooked it on high for about 4-5 hours. It was delicious. If you want to be fancy, try browning the beef in a pan with olive oil first; it makes the house smell like you're actually doing something.






 3. Taco Soup:

Just as delicious as it sounds! I this go around, I added a bit more broth than I normally do, so it was more watery...but still good. The ideal consistency, for me, is some where between chili and soup.....chowder? I like to eat this soup with taco cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and tortillas instead of crackers. Get tortillas that are low sodium or you will dry your mouth out! Also, if you want to get the less fat fixin's do it.




1 pound of ground turkey
minced garlic to taste
1 large onion 2 packets taco seasoning
1 large onion
1-2 cups of corn
1 big can of diced tomatoes (about 24 ounces)
1-2 cups vegetable broth
2 cans of black beans (rinsed)
1 can kidney beans (rinsed...or just another can of black beans)
water to taste if you want it more soupy....
Season to taste some antacids.....

I start off by sauteing my onions and garlic with olive oil. When the onions are nice and translucent, add the ground turkey. I usually season my meat with Mrs. Dash, a bit of salt, Cayenne pepper (lots of it)...you can add some other stuff if you want, it's pretty flexible. Once the meet is fully cooked, I add the taco seasonings, with a little bit of water, and stir it all together. Then I add everything else (except the antacids...I take one of those 30-45 minutes before I actually eat). I let the pot simmer on middle low for about 45 minutes (like chili, the longer this soup sits, the better) and let the flavors mingle. This soup taste even better the next day after chillin' in the fridge. When I eat it, I garnish it the way I want. Again, get the consistency you want. I added too much water this go around, and next time will not make the same mistake...but it still tastes good.

There you have it! Simple meals that even I can make with little to now fuss. Best of all, these are all crock pot friendly!!!! I hope you try one!


Ayeshah

Comments