Working for the man....

Can I just say that there is something insanely terrifying about teaching high school for the first time. For one, I feel like I have little if any support and two, I don't know what I'm doing completely. Yet, armed with a solid, if at times loose, grasps on the material and tenacity that has gotten me through much scarier situations, I am biting the bullet and taking in all in stride...reasonably...but 17 and 18-year-olds have a tendency to be less forgiving. Let's pray that day three and on will be better. What I can say about my students is that they are teachable and often willing to learn, they just don't like their time wasted, and that I can understand. Who wants to spend an hour and a half "looking" through a book when someone could actually be TEACHING them... To make a long story short, there is something to be said about just doing your own thing and taking a stand against....not doing your own thing? SO, starting tomorrow, maybe my British Lit students will hate me a little less and get a little more passionate about a subject I happen to love....maybe....hopefully....I pray! *on the bright side, American Lit is going extremely well and I think they love the class and class discussions....and we actually have a plan for them....which I plan to deviate from as soon as possible. Ayeshah

Comments

Post a Comment