Words can create or destroy.....

Communication is such a critical part of life, yet so many of us lack the ability to communicate effectively with the people around us.  Specifically, we forget that there is a right and wrong way to say things.  I'm not just talking about tact when dealing with sensitive situations.  We take for granted that the people around us will stay around us regardless of how we talk them.  Now, I'm obviously referring to specific instances in my life, maybe you have a similar issue, but it just burns me...no, no...pisses me off when people are just blatantly rude!!!!!!

When I find myself in a situation where the person I'm talking to becomes...aggressive (albeit unintentionally)...I use it as an opportunity to mention, slyly (well, like the smart ass I can be) that words are powerful tools that can create and destroy.  To repeatedly tear at someone's self-esteem, even unconsciously, can have lasting effects.  I know, that traditionally "playing the dozen" or ragging on each other are fixtures of black culture (or at least my culture) but does that make it right?  Many of our confrontations could be avoided if we simply treated each other with respect.   Don't say mean things, especially when you don't mean them.  If someone says something you don't like, instead of cursing them out, approach the situation like an adult and talk about it.  Communicate without being violent and offensive.  Is that really that hard?

I really felt the need to get this off of my chest, as I watch another episode of Modern Family in the background.  I hate being talked down to and cursed at.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Because the Dunphy's are making it difficult for me to stay focused, I will conclude with the main points I wanted to make in this blog.  Communication requires:

1.  Mutual  Respect: treat me the way you want to be treated.
2.  A realization that words are powerful.  Even words said without thought have some effect.  Be purposeful with your words making an effort not to say things you don't mean and that could potentially destroy someone.

Live with purpose and be positive!

Ayeshah

Comments

Post a Comment