How the mighty have fallen

I'm in a rut, guys.  After student teaching and being a fulltime student for a year....plus a stint at Play 2 Grow, I'm desperately seeking viable short term employment and nothing is happening.  Yesterday was a low day for me.  I was uncharacteristically low.....and freaking out, but now, I'm back to my usual self.  I missed me.

Alright blog world, it has come to this.  I am researching ways to make money quickly and in large amounts...to get me through that pre-first paycheck ambiguous stage.  I found an apartment in Columbus that's close to work, walmart, and a bus stop (yay), but I'm still a little short on the first month rent, transportation, and food.....you know, just the basics.

Here is the run down for how I've been trying to make money this summer:
 1.  Babysitting.  Usually I get clients like nobody's business, but lately they just haven't been biting.  They want someone long term and I'm not that girl.  This one family I met with and and the mom says she needs help, BUT she NEVER CALLS.  And when I contact her she's like, "I needed you last week."  Really?  Cause my number never changed.  Now I'm to meet them again and have dinner with the family while getting to know the kids in a supervised environment....right.....

2.  Temp agency.  This seemed like a logically step.  It's temporary with no strings attached.  I earn money and get to move to my bigger better job in the fall...yeah, no.  NO JOBS available.  Or they were all temp to hire.  I need to learn to lie during these interviews.  I'm too honest and always hurt myself in the end. 

3.  Work at my uncle's restaurant.  A no go because business is not booming.

4.  Writing papers online.  I'm sorry, but me spending 2 or more days writing 6 page papers for less than $50 is criminal.  I just finished a degree, why am I writing on topics like molecular biology and reading entire chapters so that some stranger can get an A while I get paid nothing!!!!  But in hindsight, that $50 is $50 more than I have now....

Those are the legit ways I have tried to earn money.  Somewhat conventional, very rational and all positions I am suited for and more than willing to do.  YET, nothing.  not one speck of work.

Now, I'm going to list the jobs/schemes I have seriously been contemplating since today.

1.  Donate plasma.  There's this bank in Norcross that pays you $25 for plasma and you can donate twice a week!!!  Yeah, I Googled it!!!

2.  Waitressing at a strip club.  Not usually my spot, but my friend mentioned having a cousin (or friend of a cousin) who actually did/does this and made $500 in tips one Monday night not dancing on a pole.  I mean, hey....I'm not adverse to making money for smiling and taking drink orders.  I've done a lot worse for less....in the form of changing diapers on 3 year olds...yeah

3. Internet surveys.  I feel this is the worse scam on my life, yet I am more than willing to sit for hours and complete the menial survey for a measly $5 per survey.  Or, my personal favorite, 40 points.  If I get 1000 points I get $50.  And I don't have to sit through being poked by needles...or unsavory appendages.

4.  Becoming an Amazon Mechanical Turk.  Apparently there are small jobs that amazon posts like transcribing and editing or writing that pay.  I checked out some of the listings though and a few were in the $0.17 range....which is like, not even enough to buy a freeze cup, but hey...I guess if I do enough of those sorts of jobs, I'll eventually get $10.

5.  Begging money from rich philanthropist.  I'm usually too proud to beg, but pride be damned.  I'm in a desperate situation when bills are due and there is no money to pay them with!!!!  It's so frustrating!!!  Is there a rich person to contact when you don't have a child dying or a spouse who is disabled.  I'm just a single girl looking for a hand out.

In the end, I think I'll go through my book collection and begin selling those ridiculously expensive school books to some unfortunate building up debt trying to earn a degree.   I will only sell my trashy romance novels and my YA books as a last resort.  Hopefully it won't come to that.

What are you dealing with in your life?  I rarely get feedback, but I enjoy it when I do.

Ayeshah

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you are hitting a low right now. I feel like everyone I talk to is struggling with something lately- elderly grandparents, school debt, finding a roommate, and of course, getting a job. When I first got out of school and started working, my dad lent me money to pay for the deposit on my apartment (thankfully.) And as for cash, I used my low balance student credit card for small stuff that I knew I could pay off with no interest at the end of the month. If I were to apply anywhere for temp work, it would probably be a grocery store clerk - the job is mind-numbing, but easy. I've never done it, but I've heard bartending and waitressing are pretty lucrative if you have a little experience. I've also thought about selling my old instruments from high school band class and getting a job with a house cleaning service.

    Once you've got a big, fat steady paycheck, you won't even remember all the mental anxiety you suffered before it. Here's hoping that it gets here as soon as possible, and in the mean time, don't lose heart! You are too smart for this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And text me next weekend. I'll treat you to dinner somewhere tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will accept that dinner invite! Thank you so much, your post was so encouraging. I feel better all ready. Grocery store clerk sounds like a go....Maybe I'll apply to walmart for a bit....do some soul selling...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ayeshah I will def pray that youh get a job at a grocery store, that would be good.. maybe Walgreens or Walmart would be good. I will pray that you get money asap. O and hey is BRit C-- Brittany from P2G? If so, can I go out with you guys, I miss my old P2G buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it is Britt C. I am going to assume that "anonymous" is Rhea. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment