What you should be reading

I chose Iyanla Vanzant's One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth. I admit I do read my fair share of self-help books (and don't follow ANY of of the advice). But I felt this book was sooo different. I was able to identify with each and every chapter in this book and at the risk of sounding corny, I did feel as my soul opened a little. I actually did take some of her advice to heart! If you have a chance, please grab this book. It's not preachy at all, it's just right. Her warmness radiated from the pages. She gives advice by putting her mistakes out there so you don't do the same. The copy I read was from my local library and I kept the book for a total of 2 months! I actually had my own copy (which I can't locate for anything!) and my copy had notes on almost every page. After each chapter there is a written exercise that should be completed. I didn't do most of them and I still was able to pull something from he book, it was just that good. Instead of reviews, I've posted the poem that pulled me into the book.

One day my soul just opened up
and things started happenin'
things I can't quite explain
I mean
I cried and cried like never before
I cried tears of ten thousand mothers
I couldn't even feel anything because
I cried 'til I was numb.

One day my soul just opened up
I felt this overwhelming pride
what I was proud of
only God knows!
Like the pride of a hundred thousand
fathers
basking in the glory of their newborn
sons
I was grinnin' from ear to ear!

One day my soul just opened up
I started laughing
and I laughed for what seemed like
forever
wasn't nothin' particularly funny goin' on but I laughed anyhow
I laughed the joy of a million children
playin'
in the mud
I laughed 'til my sides ached
Oh God! It felt so good!

One day, my soul just opened up
There were revelations, annihilations,
and resolutions
feelings of doubt and betrayal, vengeance and forgiveness
memories of things I'd seen and done
before
of places I'd been, although I didn't know when
there were lives I'd lived
people I'd loved
battles I'd fought
victories I'd won
and wars I'd lost.

One day, my soul just opened up
and out poured all things
I'd been hiding
and denying
and living through
that had just happened moments before.

One day, my soul just opened up
and I decided
I was good and ready!
I was good and ready
to surrender
my life
to God.

So, with my soul wide open,
I sat down
wrote Her a note
and told her so


Lady T

Comments