Busy...

Hey world,

I have had a busy, full, enjoyable life since last I posted.  Places I have visited in 2016:

1. Barcelona
2. Paris (for the second time; I still feel this place is overrated)
3. Pattaya and Bangkok
4. Manilla
5. Various Chinese cities

Some things I've gotten to try:
1. Kungfu
2. Hiking up a mountain
3. Octopus balls (not testicles, but legit balls made of octopus and some sort of batter)
4. Pu Er tea (drinking it now)
5. A friend flying all the way to Asia to visit me
6. Teaching said friend how to haggle at the Pearl Market
7. Fresh Coconut Juice
8. Being a single mother for 2 weeks (with my 4 year old nephew...that was tough)

Things I still want to do:
1. Fall in love (with an awesome man...also, I want my family to stop asking me if I'm a lesbian because I'm not married yet. Jeez, guys.)
2. Finish writing my book
3. Get a new camera (my one broke soon after moving to China)
4. Become a decent YouTube Vlogger
5. Write a screenplay for Kindred
6. Take acting/singing lessons.

That's about it.  I felt the need to write a post because I've been MIA for a while. The only thing happening of note these days is that grades are due for report cards; so, true to my nature, I am frantically finishing things I've put off. Maybe you're wondering if I plan to come home?

I am coming up on my 3 year anniversity since moving to China and it's becoming harder to remember the things I thought were weird when I first came. I get annoyed less and am 100% over the initial culture shock.  I love my job and the area I live in. 

I was trying to think the other day what it would be like to have to return the states.  Would I go back into teaching in public schools? Could I?  The answer was a resounding NO which makes me a little sad because I love teaching!  I find, after a rough start, that it's actually something I'm good at.  I sometimes remember thinking back to my pre-teaching, post English degree days when I was against (scared of) becoming a teacher...and I can't imagine why!  It's honestly the most fun thing I can think of doing as a job...and it rarely gets boring.  You are constantly meeting new people.  Each year is different, and each lesson, no matter how many years you teach the same material, changes.  The kids change, the way you approach the material changes. 

This year, I have even been able to take on some leadership roles (Head of the English department and Chairperson of the International awareness committee)...though I will admit, I sometimes don't have time to think because there's so much to do...but that's why we have soooo MANY HOLIDAYS.

ANYWAY, I don't think I want to teach in the states again.  Why? Because it is stressful.  There is no trust in the profession of teaching in the states and everyone thinks a monkey could do it (teach that is).  The emphasis on standardized testing has created an almost hostile environment where reading and analyzing literature has no place in the classroom, one should be preparing kids to pass a multiple choice exams or placing higher emphasis on reading dry informational texts...because only when something is almost inaccessible, is it rigorous.  No, I don't want to endure that anymore. 

I love the autonomy that comes with teaching in international schools.  We have standards we must follow of course, but my school only does 1 standardized test (not including PSAT and SAT) twice a year...and even then we question the need for it.  I fully believe that the students in my current school are learning, I don't need a state exam to show that to me.  I see it in the way the express and support their ideas.  I see how they are improving...and, to be honest, developing a love for learning is more meaningful than learning to pass a standardized test.  I hope that's what I am teaching my kids. 

I can't do that in the states.

But what other job allows me to make a difference AND get summers off  (though I think summers in the states are a lot more PD focused...)

Stay gold (Can you tell what our 8th grade unit is?),


Ayeshah

Comments