Pets and Tears...and family.

This morning began with a somewhat abrupt Facebook message from my sister that simple said, "Call me."  When you are thousands of miles away from home and country and you see those two words, with no explanation, it's enough to at least give you pause.  I have told my sister, on more than one occasion, that though I value her message sending time, maybe adding a little explanation could help me figure out the nature/importance/or need of "calling her".  But like all independent women, she does what she wants.

Anyway, I see the message this morning and I think for a second, is this one of her I miss you, call home messages, or did something happen.  So, I call.  Immediately she is in tears and says, "I have to tell you something."  I hate bad news, and news that makes you cry is never easily received over the phone, I pause her to prepare myself...of course, I'm thinking my mom has died, and calculating ways to get from China to Georgia in the next 24 hours...luckily that was unnecessary.

After I take a few seconds to brace myself, I say, okay...what happened and she preceeds to tell me that the family dog Pepper, of dubious ancestry, has died and was in fact murdered by a much bigger dog in the neighborhood.   I'll admit I was relieved to say I still have a mother, but to have the dog die, though a better alternative, was still sad.  She was only with the family for 8 years, but she was...family.  My mom, being the sensitive soul she is, has taken it hard and the pain can be felt from miles away. 

But what I love about my family is our ability to pull together and make eachother laugh.  I was immediately dragged into a hangout video chat with May and Kay (my sisters), each had their phones on speaker so that I could join in the family chat with N, my brother, and my mom. By the end of the conversation, the mood was slightly lifted and we were able to remember Pepper the way she lived, fiesty, small, and loyal.

I don't really know what I wanted to accomplish with this post, maybe it was more of a reflection than anything...but I do know, my family does a great job of laughing through the tears...

Ayeshah

Comments

Post a Comment