Not old...just older.

I realize I'm aging.    Not just because I'll be 28 on January 31st; no, it's more that the thought of dating a 25-year-old guy makes me shake my head and go....no, he's a little young...right?  I realize that's slightly ridiculous, but let's face it... guy 25 is not the same as female 25.  Saying, he's 25 I almost hear, he's JUST 21...which is a fetus.   Actually, it's too close to 19...which is probably the age of one of my current, past, or future students...and teenagers definitely make me think of 3-year-olds.

I visited my sister at Armstrong the other day and stayed over in her....get this...DORM ROOM.  As we made the mad dash from the elevator to her single closet-space sleeping, eating, bathing area, I was accosted by all these fresh faced, idealistic, post teens whose biggest issue to date has nothing to do with diversifying their portfolio or planning for retirement...or paying a bill. It was then that I was reminded that I will never be 20 again.  Not that I won't to be, mind you.  There's something good about aging gracefully and just learning each lesson presented at whatever time in your life they come.

The point is, this year, I'll be that much closer to 30!!!!  Now, in the past, and recent future, and now if I dwell on it, the age 30 has left me a little....blank faced:

It's asking now what.  I'm wondering if I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish....if I am making the right career choice....do I need to be buying property...do I need a hair cut?

All these classic statements that belong on the "You are Now an Adult" checklist always seemed...constrictive to me.   Getting older always seemed like a prison sentence where I would resign myself to working a 5-9 ( I've been crying about this since 19...see here: http://nikinyte.blogspot.com/2006/06/1116-work.html) and just being plan....unhappy.  But it's not.  Life is about making choices, some good, some bad, and learning from them...not dweling on them and being a grumpy pants.

On that note, I'm hoping to comfortably fill my flirty, almost-thirty size 9 Manolo boots like a pro...starting now. 
Ayeshah

Comments