Short: Reflections on The Butler

When my dad asked if I wanted to see Lee Daniels' The Butler....I was like, yeah....but is the Hunger Games out yet?   It wasn't.  He then asked was I not planing on seeing it.  To which I quickly replied, "Of course.  To not see it would make me un-black."  Which is ridiculous...but YOU know what I mean. (or maybe you don't)...The truth is, I had planned to see the movie at some point---I mean, look at the cast!

Anyway, that intro was just a little social commentary that would probably be better placed in a post about my FAVORITE subject:  Black Art and the Black Artist...SO, anyway....

We saw the movie and despite the immediate jugular hit of two lynched bodies hanging in front of the American flag....or the random acts of violence that immediately followed, I really liked it.  Yes, it was "preachy" at times (twice to my count), but the underlining story was so universal and human, I think everyone could enjoy it. 

I have never been so acutely aware of the passage of time.  The inevitability of death and aging....(my dad, who is currently going through a mid-life crisis--this is my own assertion...not really his--may agree).  Watching Cecil Gaines on the screen, I felt I could've been watching my story....or my parents...or my parents' parents....or my parents' parents' parents....you get the point. 

I left the theater with one thought in mind:  Life is short and a lot of things that happen will not matter when I die.  It seems so simple and so bleak....but I found a little freedom in those words.  I mean, how much of my time is spent worrying about bills, or work, or people, or that JC Penny's sell that ends the week before pay day?  How often do I call my grandparents, who are probably lonely in their house with many rooms that used to house their 6 children.  How many times do I call my sister who drives me crazy?  How many friendships have I given up on because they required too much maintenance?  All these things went through my mind as I watched Gaines and his son, polar opposites, come to terms with their differing views. 

Also, I realized that there is a time for revolutionary ideals to be put into action....as long as they are tempered with love and understanding for opposing views.  We don't have to always fight and kill each other....life is already too short.

So, I decided to live my life like death is unavoidable.  I want to love the people around me more so that when I leave, though I will eventually be forgotten, the people I have come into contact with will be that much better. 


Ayeshah

Comments

  1. Which sister drives you crazy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post. I love it! Yes... death is inevitable, and how we live before we pass is SO important. Thus, make everyday count; or try to do so!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment